Saturday 19 December 2009

Copenhagen & Generosity

"It is now evident that beating global warming will require a radically different model of politics thatn the one on display here in Copenhagen" (John Sauven, executive director of Greenpeace UK)

"Generosity is right at the top of the list of six perfections for a very good reason, which is that our natural tendency is not to give, but to take. If any new proposition comes up...our usual reaction, at least half-consciously, is 'What's in it for me?'-(truncated Sangharakshita)

User feedback on the freelender site as it currently is came back with the message that "it should just be simplified to two buttons: 'I want to lend' and 'I want to give'. If Edmund and I follow this kind of advice, and record over the coming years the number of people chossing each of the two options, I wonder if post-Copenhagen the number seeing the importance of giving will slowly outstrip the number taking?
I do of course need takers so that I can give; and I need givers, so that I can live.

No comments:

Post a Comment